About Media Business Insight
Media Business Insight Limited (MBI) is based in North London and owns a unique portfolio of leading multichannel subscription-based brands, offering content and insight to key decision-makers and creatives in the media industry across TV, advertising, film and marketing services.
MBI brands area: Broadcast, Screen International, KFTV, The knowledge, Production intelligence and ALF Business Development.
We’re all in this together!
Customer Focus – Our customers are at the heart of our business.
Passion – We embrace teamwork, promote creativity and work towards a common goal of success.
Honesty – We are committed to open and transparent communication.
Expertise – We work hard to become experts in our specialist disciplines and fields.
Innovation – We encourage creativity to maintain our position as market leader.
Trainee Reporter: Job Description
MBI, publisher of leading business to business titles Screen International and Broadcast, is recruiting a trainee reporter to join its busy editorial teams on a one-year contract, as part of MBI’s commitment to diversity in its own workforce and coverage of the media sector.
The successful candidate will want to pursue a career in journalism and have an interest in the TV and film sectors. The role will involve on the job training with the Broadcast and Screen editorial teams along with a mentorship and career development programme in partnership with Creative Access.
This is a unique opportunity to work with the specialist editorial teams on Broadcast and Screen International and we will be looking for a reporter who, overtime, will break great news stories and write on diary and exclusives for our readers and subscribers in the TV and film market.
The role will involve reporting for both Broadcast and Screen International and the successful candidate will have a unique experience to learn from two separate teams covering their sectors. They will report to the news editors for the two titles.
Knowledge of the TV and film sectors is an advantage but not a necessity.
The successful candidate will work on a one-year fixed term contract and whilst the successful trainee will be able to apply for any vacancies that come up during their time at the business, there is no guarantee that a permanent role will be available at the end of the traineeship.
MBI strongly encourages applications for this role from Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates. However, we are committed to consider all candidates who meet the minimum criteria for this role.
During their time in the business, the successful candidate will be able to build a deep understanding of the TV and film sectors, developing contacts and experience that will help them in their future journalism career.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Write news stories via contacts, daily press releases and other media, producing concise and accurate copy
- Build strong network of industry contacts in the UK film and TV sectors through regular meetings and networking.
- Represent Broadcast and Screen in the industry and cover key events as required.
- Generate ideas for news, analysis, and interviews.
- Upload and manage relevant content on the website, following best practice and in line with style guide.
- Help to implement Screen and Broadcast’s social media strategy and generate content for social media channels.
- Self-starter able to work independently and within a busy team
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Able to multi-task and have excellent attention to detail
- Strong communications skills (verbal and written)
- Able to build effective working relationships
- Strong team worker, shares good ideas and best practice
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Media industry knowledge and contacts useful but not essential
- Demonstrable interest in or experience of journalism, including some level of training.
Additional personal requirements
- Positive and sociable team-player attitude.
- Confident for networking
- Attention to detail.
Why work for MBI?
Media Business Insight is a great place to develop your career. MBI staff are hugely passionate about their brands and what they do. They are hardworking, effective and expert professionals who provide trusted and essential services.
Our Commitment to you:
- Development and training
- You will become an expert in the media sector
- Social Commitments and People Perks
In recognition of our talented people we also offer:
- Flexible Working hours and remote working options
- Additional day’s annual leave for each year of service up to 30 days
- Hold annual Christmas and Summer parties
- Interest free travel loans
- Company sponsored lunch & learning sessions
We look forward to working with you!
How to apply
Please send your CV, covering letter and 200 words on why you are interested in reporting on the UK’s leading media industry titles to email@example.com
Candidates will be responded to when they apply, and any adverts will be removed when the role has been filled. If you are interested, please apply immediately to avoid disappointment.
Closing date for applications: 31st March 2021
Please note: acquisition by agencies will not be appreciated.