Brand name: Screen International
Reporting to: Editor
Location: Old Street, London
Salary: Competitive and based on experience
Screen International, the leading international film trade magazine, is seeking a talented, motivated and experienced news editor to join its fast-paced editorial team. The successful candidate will coordinate and manage all news coverage, including daily breaking news and in-depth analysis pieces, from Screen’s network of staff reporters and international correspondents. Working closely with the online team, they will also help to shape Screen’s news agenda and work on the publication’s market-leading daily editions at major film festivals and markets. The role is London-based but will require international travel throughout the year.
Main role focus
- Coordinate and edit all news coverage for Screendaily.com, with accurate reporting and quality control of all content.
- Manage news from Screen’s network of staff writers/reporters and territory correspondents, fielding story pitches and editing copy to a
- Coordinate with Screen’s online editor on daily email newsletters and breaking news alerts.
- Supervise news coverage for daily editions at major film festivals including Cannes and Berlin (and, with experience, take the lead on editing
these market-leading dailies).
- Keep Screen at the forefront of international industry reporting.
- Build and maintain long-lasting and effective relationships with industry contacts.
- Some writing/reporting will be involved in addition to editing, and the News Editor will also represent Screen in the market and festivals
including on panels.
- Motivate reporters and correspondents to ensure that Screen is not missing out on stories that go to competition titles.
- Coordinate with online editor to make sure that stories achieve their maximum impact online with strong headlines and presentation, and
that they sit in the correct areas of the site.
Qualifications & experience
- Candidates should have a minimum of two years’ news editing experience in a daily online environment, and demonstrable news
gathering abilities, including interview and research techniques; FOI use; and comfort dealing with financial data.
- Used to working in a fast-paced environment while also understanding long-term planning.
- In-depth film industry knowledge would be useful.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
Additional personal requirements
- Strong social and networking skills
- Sharp eye for detail
- Positive team player
About the brand and company:
MBI owns a unique portfolio of leading multichannel subscription-based brands, offering content and insight to key decision-makers and creatives in the media industry across TV, advertising, film and marketing services.
How to apply
Closing date: 29 January 2018
Back to vacancies
Browse our brands
Essential resource for the UK broadcasting industry, offering up-to-the-minute industry information, data, and insight
A showcase and database for the best advertising work in the world, delivered across multiple platforms to subscribers around the world.
Specialist business news, reviews and insight targeted at production, sales and distribution businesses and leaders within the international
ALF (Accounts List File) - A prospects and new business tool for marketing services, agencies and suppliers
A comprehensive online directory and information hub for the international media production community
A one-stop shop for those looking for service providers, suppliers, crew, and anyone who may work behind the camera in film and television
Bringing you news and updates on film and TV productions, allowing you to secure your next contract, plan sales campaigns or network